Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Road Tripping with Kids!

I just did our... umpteenth million road trip! 
Not really, but we do a LOT of road trips! And have for years with children of all ages. 
So, as I preped for another one, I thought I would share a few tips and ideas with you all! 

So here is Road Tripping 101! 

-First and most basic tip- Know your route and STOPS! If it is a new route you haven't gone on before make sure you check the millage and where you will need to stop for gas and food. No one likes to run our of gas on a road trip! Also know you will probably need to stop at a rest stop or two to stretch and use the amenities. I just want to get there, so we don't aren't planning any extra fun stops! When I stop for gas, they go potty. We don't buy extras either. When we stop for food, we get out and eat so they can stretch and unwind a little. This makes our trip go faster and keeps everyone happy! For this trip with me being pregnant, I know I will need to stop once or twice more than normal! 

-Have emergency items in your car. (First aid kit, extra water and snacks just in case, extra diapers or baby items, if needed.) Make sure you have any meds needed handy! This trip my son is still recovering from surgery, so pain meds and antibiotics are needed often, so they will be in my purse! Also I pack any meds that my little ones who can't take pills may need, in case of head aches or allergies. 

-Plan Entertainment! You know your kids and you know what they like, what keeps them calm at church or doctors offices... whatever keeps them happy and calm! Things they can do while buckled! 
For example, I will be traveling with my son, 12, daughters ages 10, 6 and 20 months. I will also be traveling alone as my husband can't go. (And I am pregnant.) SO my older kids are easy, they are use to road trips and can entertain themselves. So CHARGED Kindle Fires with car chargers as it is a long drive (11.5 hours), video player with back of seat mount for little one, with movies she will be entertained with (animal movies, Micky Mouse, Dora...), and a FEW small toys. I say a FEW because my kids always want to pack a bunch, and paper and crayons galore, however they never play with them for more than 5 minutes and then they just get spread all over our van making a huge mess no one wants to clean up at the end of the trip! 
SO all they really need is a few! If I have time I hit the dollar store for a few new little things for each of them. I won't have time for this trip, so for my 20 month old I will pack a few little books she likes, and a few small animal toys, and a baby doll. For my 10 and 6 year old a small notebook with maybe 3 crayons each or a pencil is plenty! They also enjoy watching a movie while the little one is sleeping! I also know my little one likes me to sing to her when I she is tired or when I can't hold her cause I am driving, so I am prepared to do a LOT of singing! LOL I am also hoping to find my few children's music CD's. Or download some on my Iphone that I can plug into my van stereo. (Make sure you have all cords and items handy to yourself or older kids who may be helping!)

-Snacks! I don't like to back a bunch, cause they just make a mess and aren't eaten, but a few are good to have. Especially for the little one! Individual snack bags are a great way to pack these. And I like to try to pack a few healthy little things my kids will eat, like grapes, pre-sliced apples, small peaches, baby carrots... And don't forget the drinks! I like things with lids for a smaller chance of spills, and don't forget the sippy cup for little ones! I try to stick to water, for less chance of stickiness if it gets spilled, and it is a free healthy pick! (We use re-usable water bottles also!)

And there you go! If you need any more ideas for certain ages, let me know! 

***The same tips can be used for flying with little ones, except for the stops one! Instead I wear my kiddos out by walking and looking at things in the airport for layovers, and use the bathroom before we board! You will have to take your empty water bottle and refill at a water fountain or buy a bottle of water for it after you go thru security. but you can still take snacks and little toys! Don't forget the headphones that your kids like and will use for any electronics! 

No comments:

Post a Comment